Sunday 8 May 2011

Big Issue Scotland joins my search for a new book list



The Big Issue Scotland, the weekly news magazine sold by homeless vendors, has joined me in my search for a new list of 100 unmissable novels.

It's editor saw my blog, loved the idea and suggested he include it in his books pages. I said "OK, as long as you give me your own list." He's working on it as we speak.

Just to recap, there's a perennial on Facebook: a list of 100 titles, supposedly compiled by the BBC, with the question, how many have you read? I explain a little more on the page you can see a link to above or click here.

The problem is it is a dull, safe list which doesn't reflect the kinds of books I read, my friends read - or possibly anyone.

I'd like you to suggest a list of their top five, ten or fifteen novels: novels you really love (not the ones you feel you should mention). Add them as a comment below if that suits - or on the Facebook note which you can find here.

Get your friends to take part. The more people who do, the better the final list will be.

I'll collate the results and publish the results here, on Facebook and in the Big Issue.

Use the comment box below to leave your list.

1 comment:

  1. The Mask of Dimitrios by Eric Ambler, The Quiet American by Graham Greene, Travels With my Aunt by Graham Greene, King Rat by James Clavell, Wilt by Tom Sharpe.

    ReplyDelete