Wednesday 4 April 2012

Patrick DeWitt | Esi Edugyan | Walter Scott Prize

Scotland's foremost literary prize for historical fiction, the Walter Scott prize, has named an international line up in its 2012 short list



I loved DeWitt's The Sisters Brothers when I read it last year. It's smart and funny. But I'm still surprised to see it on this list. DeWitt made several comments about how he barely did any research at all into the historical aspects of the book. And the book turns on a rather fantastical element -- dressed up as science.

Edugyan's novel has won high praise already too -- she is another Booker shortlister. I was less taken with the book which promised more than it delivered.

However, Pure by Andrew Miller, which took the Costa honours, is one of my favourite reads of the past twelve months. Brilliant detail. Fascinating story. It didn't quite go where I thought it should, but it worked really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment